Thursday, January 21, 2010

Crazy Day

I had an amazing experience today. I taught First Aid to a group of high schoolers in an after-school program. They tested me almost to my limits. I'm glad because I needed it. Let's face it, I'm a middle class white suburban kid who has never been in a fight and has never experienced many of the things these kids have. I know that these kids need to know First Aid and they know it too. My next step is to figure out how to motivate them to want to pass this class. How do you motivate someone who has spent 7 hours in school and then has a two hour class in the evening? I was definitely inspired by the staff today. I have long imagined what it would be like to work with youth outreach programs in difficult areas. Now I have an idea of how far I have to go and how difficult it really is to reach these kids. I realized just a little bit more how blessed I am and how my challenges are not nearly as big as I have made them out to be. I know how much of a cliche this is, and I hate cliches, but it's still true. I didn't react the way I thought I would; or hoped I would; but I learned a lot. Hopefully I will do better next week.

After listening to Dr. Charles Stanley to and from work today, I have further opened up to challenges and brokenness in my life. How can we ask God to use us as an instrument of his will if we are too afraid to give ourselves up to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment